Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Book review: Fearless by Max Lucado



I started reading "Fearless" by Max Lucado, not because I was experiencing fear in my life, but because I really like the author.
Max Lucado has the ability to speak/write clearly, so that you can understand him perfectly and really picture the situations he describes. I have learned so much from this book.
Like for example:
Fear corrodes our confidence in God's goodness.
Fear unleashes doubts.
Fear is a perceived loss of control.
We get so edgy and insecure, when we lose control of a situation. But God will always be the same and in charge, it doesn't change anything about his love towards us, if we decide to fear and worry or to trust him. His love casts out fear, because he casts out sin.
The chapter that spoke to my heart the most was: My child is in danger. Because we have three daughters (13,11 and 8) I sometimes worry and fear for the future of our kids. But the Bible says in Lam. 2, 19: “Lift your hands toward Him for the life of your young children.” We can come to our Lord and bring our kids to him in prayer. Max Lucado says: “Prayer is the saucer into which parental fears are poured to cool.” We can't protect our children from every threat in life (even if I'd love to bubble wrap our girls sometimes), but we can take them to the Source of Life.
Another chapter that was very important to me was: Make-Believe Money. In a slightly humorous way, Max Lucado shows us that the treasures that we accumulate on earth are just as worthless as Monopoly money when we get to heaven.
I would recommend this book to all people, not only the fearful ones, as everybody can learn something new from this great book.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great book! Maybe when I finish the other 8 books on my bedstand, I'll ask to borrow it! :) So many books...so little time!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name when you comment! I'd love to hear from you!